Friday, December 17, 2010

The Beginning

So, this is it?  The point where I start putting my ideas, frustrations, joys and so forth out there for you to see. 

It was about this time last year that I really became serious about reaching my goal of sending a manuscript to a publisher.  Not knowing the first thing about what to do, I started by purchasing some books on writing Christian fiction.  The first book "Writing the Christian Romance" by Gail Gaymer Martin was a fabulous way to start.  It taught me so much about writing style, organizing my thoughts and how to present my work when complete.  I emailed Gail to thank her for such a great book and received such a thoughtful response along with some advice.  I'm grateful for the encouragement and instruction I received from Gail.

After reading through a couple other books, I knew I was ready to get started.  I keep a journal of all my inspirations and choose one that I wanted to start with.  From that point I created Character Info Sheets and Character Interviews to get to know my characters.  In some ways, I'm still getting to know them.  But they have strong personalities and are becoming 2 people I adore.  It's been interesting seeing what each character wants and how they will react. 

Now the hard part, writing the story.  I have it all in my head.  I've created a one page synopsis, if you will, of each chapter.  So, it should be easy right?  I wish!  So far, I have about half of the first chapter done.  Well, I thought I had all of it done until I realized how many words a chapter should be.  So, I'm going to go back and work on adding some more depth and draw to the first chapter.  Let's hope it goes well and I'm done with it before next year at this time.

No comments: