Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Character Interviews

Before I really knew a lot about writing my book, I had no idea what a character interview was.  Yes, I've written stories, but not with the in-depth characters I would like to have.  The character interviews helped me so much in learning more about my hero and heroine.

If you're like I was and don't know, a character interview is a way to help your characters come to life and be real.  It's a great way to get to know them.  It's exactly as it sounds.  You actually "ask" your character questions.  Some good questions could be:
  • What do you do for a living?
  • What is your greatest fear?
  • Tell me about your parents?
There can be so many questions that you can ask.  You may never use a lot of the information, but it helps to learn who your character is.  What makes them the way they are.  What makes them laugh and cry.  And so much more.

I read many character interviews and interview questionnaires.  I came up with my own template to interview my characters.  It has helped me to develop the story and go more in depth in their pasts.  Here are some interesting points I found in my interviews for my story.

Heroine:

1.  Describe yourself.

2.  What is the one thing you wish other people knew about you?

That I really do care about them.  I have a heart for people even though sometimes I don’t show it.

3.  What do you prefer as gifts from your date?
Hero:


1.  Did you grow up with both parents?  One?  Neither?
I grew up with both parents until I was 3.  My dad died then of a drug overdose.  When I was 4, my mom met Jake and he moved in immediately.  They were married a couple weeks later.  I was basically raised, if you could call it that, by my mom and Jake. 
2.  What’s your worst quality?
                 

My impatience!  It gets me in trouble a lot!
3.  What do you want more than anything?
                 

My mom to change her life and find God.

I hope you liked this little snippet of character info from my story.  My characters have rich pasts, rocky roads and caring hearts.  It should make for an interesting time.

Flowers would be nice.  As much as I like getting stuff though, if he respected me, that would be a gift in itself.

I’m not shy!  Anything but!  I love going out and having fun.  I like to pick the place we’re going to hang out at.  I have a lot of friends, but Carrie [heroine's  niece] is my best!  I figure one day I will have to grow up, but who says it has to be now?

No comments: