Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I'm Reading

Over the past week, I’ve been reading The Shack by William P Young.  It’s one of those books that I heard and saw a lot about for quite a while.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get into a book like this or not.  Then last year at the library sale, I saw it for $1.  So, I picked it up and added it to my “To Read” pile.  Now it’s actually made it around for reading.

If you’re not familiar with the book, it’s focuses on a man who is dealing with the disappearance of his youngest daughter.  He “meets” God at the shack where she was supposedly murdered.  A very heavy topic; and having a young son myself, a difficult one to read about it.

I’m just under halfway through and have formed some opinions already.  One is that I have to remember that this is FICTION.  Everyone who reads it needs to remember that.  DO NOT take the words in this back as scripture or God breathed.  Second, going along with number one, I do not agree with his representation of God and the trinity.  Interesting response as to why they are that way, but I still don’t agree.  Third, there are some really interesting insights.  Such as the one on how God listens to us with limitation like we would listen to our child.  I have no idea if it is even close to the truth, but it gives you something to think about in your relationship with God.

I’m curious to see where it’s going and will finish it even if I disagree with some of the ideas of Mr. Young’s.  I’m sure there will be some other great insights to come from the book, but it will be difficult to get past his idea of what God and the trinity are since it disagrees with Biblical scriptures and what God says about himself.

I found an interesting article by Chuck Colson supporting why you should not read this book.  I do agree with some of the things he says; but I still say, if you decide to read this, remember that this is fiction and not God-breathed scripture.

No comments: