Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Write" Mind Set

I’ve been working on the re-write of my first chapter.  The opening scene is staying basically the same; however, how the heroine meets the hero is changing.  I thought of a better scene for them to meet. I think it works much better this way.

Over the past couple days, I’ve been so busy at work that lunch times have been devoted to work and not much writing.  So, it gave me time to think about my chapter.  All of a sudden, I realized my re-write was in the wrong verb tense!  I have no idea what I was thinking.  I’ve never written in present tense so it caught me off guard.

That’s when I realized I needed to pick up a book to get back in the correct writing mind frame.  It’s been great because I’m really taking notice of how words are being used and descriptions are being made.  I’m getting back into the right mind set and ready to get back to correcting it.

Have you ever done this in your writing?

1 comment:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Reading is THE BEST WAY to learn how to write!! And it's so entertaining too!

Just remember though, they say that once you're an established published author you have earned the right to break a lot more rules, but to break in you have to be far more selective in which ones to toy with. But in any case story always trumps any rule out there.