Monday, August 15, 2011

A Family of Their Own, By Gail Gaymer Martin


A Family of Their Own is the second book in the Dreams Come True series. I have to say I love series books. It’s so wonderful to catch up a little on the hero and heroine from the previous novels. Gail Gaymer Martin has given us a wonderful follow-up in this second installment.

Kelsey is the mom of a little girl with a history of brain tumors. Now at the point that brain tumors have been gone for a while, Lucy is ready to get on with being a kid and being normal. But is mom ready to move on with her life and overcome her issues with trust?

Ross, on the other hand, has a daughter with cardiomyopathy. Looking at a future with limitations all while going through those trying preteen years, Peyton pulls away from her peers. Ross is at his wit’s end with how to deal with his daughters moods and just wants someone to talk with that understands.

As the novel starts off at the wedding of Lexie and Ethan, we’re re-introduced to Kelsey Rhodes and Ross Salburg. Kelsey as the maid of honor and Ross as the best man. In the first novel we learned that Kelsey is the moderator of MOSK, Mothers of Special Kids, and Ross is the dad who the group voted to not allow in the group. This makes for nervousness from the maid of honor on a normally joyous occasion.

Once Kelsey has a chance to hear more of Ross’s situation and feelings, she realizes that maybe the group was wrong in their decision. Maybe a man would be okay in this group of caring moms. And after spending some time with Ross, she realizes she may be ready to move past the betrayal of her ex-husband.

Kelsey and Ross have traveled a long road with their daughters’. They understand each other like no one else can. And even though there is a lot of discouragement from outside sources, they find the way to love.

Following along with them on their journey, I found myself completely pulled into their heartache and joys. I celebrated at the good news and grieved at the bad news. Their struggles spoke to me and I felt as if I knew them.

Gail has created another sweet story around such a sensitive issue and has worked wonders. It has opened my eyes even more to the struggles of single parents and parents of children with life-threatening illnesses. I can’t wait until the final installment of the series. I expect another heart-tugging tale and I hope to find out who this mysterious donor is.

1 comment:

naida said...

This sounds like a nice series. I enjoyed your review.